Thursday, May 9, 2013

My CCACA Experience



My Work:
                                                         Piece 1: Stan Lee the Demon
Porcelain ^6 with Underglazes
(w/ broken rail road ties [at CCACA])
Piece 2: Ugg Lee
Hanging Piece - Porcelain ^10 Soda Fired


My wall & Piece 3: Suspension (hanging on left side)
Porcelain ^10 Soda Fired, mixed media

Artist Lecture:
One artist's lecture that I attended at CCACA and found really interesting was Lisa Clague's. Clague presented a lot of information and went into depth about her personal history and how it corresponds to her work. This helped me understand her intentions and meanings behind each piece. Clague focuses a lot on the human and animal form which already intrigued me before I knew much about her.
Clague started with an introduction about her past and her life as a child growing up with two artists for parents. She explained how her mother was a ceramicist and her father created metal sculptures. Clague pointed this out as being a driving force that at first kept her away from working in either ceramics or metal. Clague also stated how there were a few major life events that has helped inspire and push her work. Some of these life altering events was the loss of her boyfriend and her experience with psychedelic mushrooms. She noted these as having great impact even to this day. Clague went more into detail concerning her mushroom trip and how she can now lucid dream which she has used as inspiration since her experience. Two other life altering events for Clague was the birth of her daughter and the death of her father. Clague mentioned that the use of three heads often helped embody herself as well as her daughter. She also described each animal as being completely unique as to what impact they are supposed to have emotionally. They are basically used as tools of personification to show traits and characteristics.
Another thing I found really interesting about Clague was her use of fabrics and stuffed animals to conjure up additions to her pieces. She explained how she uses sock monkeys, beanie babies, and other stuffed animals dipped in slip and fired to create these figures because she said she focuses too much on a refined form that she could not successfully make something like a child's toy look correct. I really like her use of these third party objects in her pieces and I feel that this is something that I should explore sometime soon. Clague also explained her use of metal in her work and how it can interact and add to each piece.
All in all, I found Lisa Clague's lecture to be extremely eye-opening as to what can be done with ceramics. I had not heard of some of her practices before and I believe I can push my work further now as well, by exploring different mediums mixed with clay.




Lisa Clague: Titillation


5 Other Works:

 Piece 1: Truck                                                             Piece 2:Plates

       Piece 3: Baby
Piece 5: Abstract figures                                                                   Piece 4: Metal-like slabs



*I messed up and didn't get the name of any of these they were at the Humboldt show though. Except for Guy's dead baby in our space.
 Piece 1:  I like the high detail and well carried out craft of the truck.
Piece 2 :  I would like to explore intricate glazing and patterns sometime in the future like these plates.
Piece 3: Guy's baby from L.T.C.C.  I like that he included a pretty strong narrative. I want to explore more narrative.
Piece 4: I really like how these came out. I don't know how they did it but I'm really interested in the finish on the surface.
Piece 5:  These figures just reminded me of things out of the hip-hop world; Something that revolves around music.  I like the glazing and the overall large structure.

*Overall, CCACA was an awesome time and I would love to go back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment